“Let the little children come to me; do not stop them; for it is such as these that the kingdom of God belongs” (Mk.10:14)
“Each child should be cherished and affirmed as a gift from God with an inherent right to dignity of life and bodily integrity which shall be respected, nurtured and protected by all.” (The National Board for Safeguarding Children – Standards & Guidance Document 2008)
We in the Diocese of Kilmore value and encourage the participation of children and young people in all diocesan and parish activities promoting their spiritual, emotional, physical and social development. Recognising the dignity and rights of all children, we will undertake to do all in our power to create a safe environment for children and young people in order to facilitate their full participation in the life of the Church. Our children’s welfare is paramount.
We will do this by:
- Adopting best practice safeguarding children guidelines in accordance with the standards named in the National Board for Safeguarding Children Standards & Guidance Document.
- Ensuring that children will be listened to and heard.
- Sharing information about safeguarding children and good practice with children, parents, staff, volunteers and clergy.
- Sharing information about concerns with the relevant agencies and involving parents and children appropriately.
- Carefully following the procedures for recruiting, training and managing staff, volunteers and clergy.
- Being committed to reviewing our policy and good practice procedures on an annual basis.
The awareness of matters relating to safeguarding children is already well established in parishes throughout the diocese, but this is an ongoing project to which the Church is most truly committed and in which considerable time and energy have been invested. Ministry to children is a central part of our pastoral mission and a key element in our diocesan policy for safeguarding children is valuing and encouraging the participation of children in parish and diocesan activities. The policy seeks to incorporate best practice as found in the civil documents, Children First (Republic of Ireland) and Co-operating to Safeguard Children (Northern Ireland), as well as in the Church guidelines, Safeguarding Children: Standards and Guidance Document for the Catholic Church in Ireland.
Contact: Suzie Duffy, Kilmore Pastoral Centre, Cullies, Cavan.
Phone: 049 – 4375004 extension 105.
The diocesan policy manual and most recent newsletter can be downloaded from www.kilmorediocese.ie
Link to Detailed Information on Safeguarding Children in the Diocese of Kilmore Click Here